Monday, March 14, 2011

The Adirondacks - again


I was hoping to do some hiking in the Adirondacks on this trip, but our route ended up not really taking us INTO the Adirondacks. And even though a couple of places we stayed at looked close to them on the map, they really weren't that close! When you're traveling on the smaller roads, it can take quite awhile to make much mileage! So while I did make forays into the famed park, they were invariably short! The first one was from Blossvale, as you will recall - I, and everyone else in the entire area, explored a bit of the southeastern section. And this outing took me just barely into the southern tip, to hike the Hadley Mountain trail up to a fire tower.

This was the advertised goal...

One of the highlights of my hike! A Cute Newt!!!!

This hike was described by one internet site as easy, but it climbed 1600 ft in 2 miles, so I'm not sure I'd quite characterize it as easy... Some parts were! But the others made up for those by being steeper! But most parts of the trail were very pretty and green. And much of the trail was actually very sloped rock slab! My hiking poles were a little difficult to use on such a surface!

Ta-da! The fire tower!

And it's sitting on the ever-present rock slabs!

The tower trapdoor was locked when I got there, but I ended up stumbling upon the tower keeper (who is on the right, and who had been snug in a little old cabin off to the side), and nice guy that he was, he came out into the drizzle to let me and some fellow hikers complete our tower experience.

Unfortunately, one of the prices to pay for choosing a nice, cool, cloudy day to hike (and actually somewhat rainy) is a somewhat stunted view... (mostly of clouds!)



And this was the scene on my rainy return, crossing over a river that I now can't remember the name of! But it had to have been either the Hudson, or the Sacandaga, River. But it was gorgeous and well-worth my getting drenched and having to dry off my lens constantly!

More of the rainy ride home.

On a quieter stretch of road...

And yup, still raining at "home" too! But it was a fun and pretty day!




No comments:

Post a Comment