Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Okeefenokee

Okeefenokee Swamp, the largest black water swamp in North America and one of the largest in the world, haunts and teases, and lures you in with its dark, mysterious beauty. Well, maybe not quite that mysterious. Or maybe so. I don't know. It has been dug up and drained, logged, burned, hidden in, and yet still it survives and can mesmerize! And this place is definitely the stuff of legends! I read accounts of weird lights following people as they drove home from the swamp...?! But there's also plenty of real, validated, fascinating folklore too. Check some of it out here: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-550
And a bit more cultural history here: http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/okefenokee_swamp/okefenokee_folk/ And a general info. website - my favorite part was the "weird stuff" - http://www.okefenokee.com/ And finally, for factoids - like the swamp is one giant peat bog, and the Suwannee and St. Mary's rivers originate from it - look here: http://www.fws.gov/okefenokee/Okefenokee%20at%20a%20Glance%20webpage.pdf

I ended up driving to the swamp twice, rather a long drive from Crooked River! But the first time, Bill and I went too late in the day so only got in a very short visit before the reserve closed! But, thanks to the truck fiasco, our stay was extended, and I drove back for a more in-depth experience. The pond above is reflecting the pines nicely, but it also is home to at least two alligators that we got to see (and also signs saying "stay back - alligators." No worries! That sort of stuff you don't have to tell me twice!)

The forest had such a neat eerie look to it the one evening Bill and I went...

One of the things I ended up doing on my second visit was a boat ride, but here Bill and I are just checking it out - and getting checked out, by the alligator at center right (enlarge to see our friend - well, he seemed friendly, like "c'mon in, water's warm!").

When I went back, it was a nice, warm, sunny day. I liked the reflections on the little Alligator Pond (so named by yours truly).

One of the attractions on the 9-mile Swamp Island Drive is the Chesser Island Homestead. It is really amazing when you think of what people endured to forge their living in those days... I'm sure most of us modern-day whiners wouldn't have stood a chance!!!! More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesser_Island

Neat shadows.

Pines and palmettos. Just like (and partly in) Florida!

Some pretty flowers along the water-filled roadside ditches.

Another roadside beauty!!! Since I saw a juvenile gator in one of the ditches nearby, I like to think of this one as Mama...?

"She" (??) has been through a bit of rough stuff - see her owies on her throat? But she's still "young and beautiful" in my eyes! (yeah, when's this girl going to get over her alligator obsession anyways?! Never! But sadly enough, the photos of them will end with Georgia...).

On both visits, I didn't leave enough time to truly explore the swamp. Thus, I'm hoping for a third visit! Can you imagine how cool it would be to go for a canoe ride through these snake and alligator-infested waters?!!!! I think it would be fantastic! But you'd want to be sure you didn't have to wiggly a partner in the boat...!
Who knows? We may be back this way someday...




No comments:

Post a Comment