Monday, September 20, 2010

Next stop - St. Augustine

After Lakeland, on May 4th, we moved on to St. Augustine, FL. We stayed at an old, run-down looking place - Pacetti's RV Park. From the direction we were traveling, we almost had to make a U-turn to get into their driveway - very tight!!! And then I could hardly find the office in the jumble of ancient little buildings. And when I did, I had to walk through a gathering of ragtag folks who all stared at me as I went past. And then the gal at check-in gave me a bit of a hard time (she was actually making a joke, but I wasn't in the mood to get it...!). So I wasn't too thrilled with my choice of campgrounds at that point.
But...
This turned out to be a favorite stop! Even though it was just terrible hot, and humid like you wouldn't believe, and the place was kind of a dump! Even though, even though. And here are some of the reasons why:
All these wonderful docks, for fishing, for sitting with your dog, for dreaming,...
even for walking (dragging) resistant cats!

And at night, the chorus of frogs was absolutely deafening!!!! What a wonderful experience, to step out into the warm, humid darkness, and be greeted by such sounds!! I finally went out with a flashlight to discover who the heck was doing all that singing! And once I found them out, I, of course, had to go out with a camera too! So smile little froggies, you're on Candid Carrie Camera!!!!

I don't know if you'd call this a smile, but here is one poor froggy under the glare of a Carrie flash. Here, he's in full expansion mode...

and here he's looking a bit more deflated! Aren't they cute?! Almost as cute as my alligators!

And the Incredible Fish-Catching Heron! Actually, most of the time, he dropped it first! But this nice guy, who was already evidently providing the occasional treats, stepped it up a notch for me to photograph. He was representative of the folks there really - they might not be that talkative towards you at first, but once they see you won't bite and are just a normal weirdo camper like everyone else, well, then they're plenty friendly and accomodating!

Mr. Heron awaits the next fish sample.

The Trout River also made a great place for Bill to do a little sailing.


Not all of the boats docked at their marina were that fresh-looking. In fact, a few of them, like this one, were as tired in their appearances as the camp. But you've got to give it to these boat owners for their naming and artistic abilities!

A gorgeous sunset.

Cute little bungalows on the other shore.

Nice reflections.

And just gorgeous in general! And this is the same river I got to see a wild manatee in! I wasn't prepared with camera, but a fisherman pointed it out to me. Just cruising past... So, all in all, wouldn't you want to stay here too?!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment