Monday, February 21, 2011

Niagara at Night


Every night, the falls are artificially illuminated, huge beams of light streaking across the gap from the Canadian side. While not a natural-looking scene, it's quite a sight.

But first, here's a sunset on top - the American Falls are further, past the bridge. You can see a bit of mist from the point where the water plummets to the rocks below. The next few photos are all from this general area.

It's now getting dark enough to need the tripod. And here, I'm just playing with B&W...






And then the lights come on, and it's time to move closer to the falls themselves!





Here, I've moved farther out so that more of the American Falls are in view (and you can even see a bit of Horseshoe Falls in the background).

A close-up of American Falls.



American Falls in ballet pastels.

And a special treat - while we ended up spending the 4th of July in Waterford, PA (and not seeing any fireworks, too lazy to drive and fight the crowds, esp. in a new place we weren't familiar with at all, boo-hoo!), we lucked out and got to see fireworks over the falls anyways! They have displays two or so times a week during part of the summer. I wasn't quite sure where to position me and my camera for them, and it was weird to try and expose for them vs. the falls. From what I'd read the Canadian side was best, so that's where we went. Compared to the airspace needed to get the fireworks into the picture, the falls (American - the Horseshoe Falls are behind the light beams) were rendered so tiny - see that little red spot in the left corner?


So there you have it - my version of the falls! Despite the awful temps and high humidity, I had to get out there and try to make our expensive KOA stay (they've got you where they want you!!) worthwhile. It wouldn't do to just hang out in the motor home and enjoy all that lovely air conditioning when I was the one who had us driving out of our way and spending all that extra dough just to see that special water phenomena! The only thing I wished I'd remembered to do was go up the Skylon Tower (Canadian side) for a close to aerial view! So if you go, do that one for me will you?!



No comments:

Post a Comment