Sunday, February 20, 2011

New York & Niagara!


OK, I loved Pennsylvania, but are you as excited as I am to be moving on to a new state?! Makes me feel like I'm making some progress, at least, on this blog! But now I must warn you - this one entry may be the longest, the most crammed with photos! Because, despite the friggin' heat and humidity (I kid you not - it was literally 100 degrees and 100% humidity!!! And most of you know how "well" I like that kind of weather...!! Hmm, cloudy and cool is MUCH more my style!), Niagara is Niagara! And while it might not make my top 10 list from the whole trip (we'll have to see - I haven't done that yet!), it is certainly a beautiful and amazing sight.


This is downstream from the falls - they are around the bend apiece. But it was sunset and a lovely stop nonetheless, don't you think?

















Most of these photos were overlooking the American Falls (thus named because they're on the US side).







People down at the bottom of the falls, most likely returning from a Maid of the Mist tour.


Two tour boats, heavily laden with the Blue Poncho People.

Still from the American side, looking at both falls and the Canadian side as well.


Another perspective of the American Falls and the BPP.

From up at the top, looking at the river before it becomes the American Falls...


And on to the Canadian side! Arret! A word - and a language - Bill and I would see much more of later in the trip!


Overlooking the portion of the Niagara River which becomes Horseshoe Falls (I am now on the Canadian side, of course, so all the next photos will be from that perspective).


A scene as I was walking along the river towards the falls.


Their main tourist/food/souvenir center.


The view through one of their mucky, misted-on windows. It had just rained a bit, which was so lovely because it cooled us all off momentarily!


Another boatload headed for the Horseshoe.




Yup, now you get a better idea of what those ponchos are for, eh?!


I just love the color of the water when the light hits it right!!!


And there you have it - the horseshoe part of Horseshoe Falls. I saw a cool aerial photo of this when looking on-line (sorry, we sold our little R-22 years ago, so you'll have to look elsewhere too for aerial photos of this!). I also read that in 1969, they DETOURED! the water from the American Falls, so that it all went over the Horseshoe temporarily, and they could do work to ensure that the American Falls didn't erode and recede/retreat. There is a photo of the American Falls, completely DRY! Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment