Tuesday, November 2, 2010

And the Winner is... or NC's "other half..."

At the time of this blog entry, we are actually in Colorado, on our way back home (yes, I'm terribly behind on the blog!!!!!!!!). We've now spent nine months on the road, going from CA to FL and up to Quebec, Canada, and soon back to CA. And still, the winner for the most unfriendly, unwelcoming place in the whole US is...Chapel Hill, Raleigh-Durham, NC! And unfortunately, I got to spend a long time there since it was one of those times when Bill had to fly home for a board meeting (and we typically stay somewhere that Southwest Airlines flies out of - the choices are a lot fewer on the eastern side of the US). And while the RV park I picked (Spring Hill) had rave reviews, I didn't care for it! Yes, it was in the trees and could be described as a pretty forest setting. But it also had a lot of older, kind of moldy-looking mobile homes (it was actually called a mobile home park), and it felt dark and oppressive to me for most of our stay. And the whole place literally was crawling with little ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to pick these tiny ticks off the cats, dogs, and me constantly - I HATED THAT!!!!!!!!!!! I don't gross out very easily, but this made me feel like you couldn't touch anything! Bill says the ticks probably mostly just fell/jumped out of the trees. However they got to us, they really "got to" me!!!! And then it rained and was too darn hot the whole time. When Bill got back, we discovered a dog park and went there. It was a lovely, huge fenced-in area for our doggies to go off-leash. And we figured if there was any chance of finding genuinely friendly people, this would be the place! Wrong! People were there talking to one another - in person or on cell phones - but they didn't give much of a hoot for talking to "unknowns!" I also had an awkward deal with the RV park owners, who were supposed to be "so friendly." Because we were staying so long, they told me, that while they didn't give discounts for the normal things (Good Sam, etc.), they would give us a free night. So that was nice. But then when we discovered they'd gotten a date wrong, they immediately rescinded that free night and didn't offer any other discount. I understand a policy is a policy, but when they make the mistake, it seemed to me they should still offer the free night or some other thing. Just taking it back and saying "oh well" struck me as a very poor business practice and seemed just rude. So no free night for staying 9 nights - only 10! But, as it turned out, because of needing to stay longer for Ouray and Seneca to see a vet, I went back to the office to see if we could get that free night after all. I'm pretty sure it was given begrudgingly, but it was at least given. But all in all, THE worst stop on our trip. Over a week of feeling alone and amongst strangers who couldn't give a crap, just digging ticks out of the critters and me!!! OK, enough complaining! And thank goodness we don't have to go back there! (and trust me, we won't!!!!!!!!).

While trying to explore the area (hard with all the traffic and lack of parking spots in downtown Chapel Hill), I found a little garden park - and these really cool flowers.

I have no idea what they are, never seen them before, but aren't they pretty? The other interesting thing in this park was...the Whistler. I wanted to get a photo of him, but he wouldn't go for it. An asian guy who was doing the most beautiful, elaborate whistling I'd ever heard. And he did it the whole time I was in the park (and more, no doubt!). I believe it was some Beethoven piece, but I can't remember what he said it was now.

While Billy was in San Diego, it was my "job" (Mommy work) to make sure our critters were safe, fed, walked, and happy. And the happy part came in the form of a truck ride for the kitties this one night. You can see how much they both love hanging out the window (esp. at the slower speeds)! And then Tractor went in the back and threw up. Poor boy, he loves car rides - they just don't always love him!

I also took a day and drove to a relatively far-away park with the dogs. What a wasted day! It wasn't that great of a park - evidently much of it had burned recently - and it was too dang hot to do much walking or anything (esp. with my doggies who insist on wearing these big, heavy, hot fur coats!)! And the bugs! Too many irritating little flies buzzing around your face, trying to get in your eyes, etc.! Uck!

Here's our site. Yes, it's big, it's pretty, it's private. But it's dark, esp. on stormy days, and chock full of ticks!!!!!!!!

I was so disenchanted with my whole Chapel Hill experience, I took very few photos of the area. But here was one building detail I liked.

And a neat building and yard. And that's it! The other entry on this area will be all about family.




No comments:

Post a Comment