Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Around and About



On our first full day at Fundy, we actually drove north all the way to Moncton. We needed to get a Canadian equivalent (prepay with a "rocket stick") to our Verizon aircard for internet, and Bill really needed it right away for work. Unfortunately, we had some very frustrating, bad experiences (with Rogers - short story? Avoid this company if you can!! We only went with them first because Virgin was out of what we wanted at the time) before finally getting Virgin Mobile (go with this one! MUCH better service, help, and cheaper too!). So this day felt like a wasted day - spent driving in the city and walking in malls! Yucky! Definitely not what I'd expected when staying in a national park!!! But, we did at leastget to see some scenic stuff on the way back.


We stopped at Hopewell Rocks. They were kind of cool, and it was a pretty day to see them - partly cloudy. But I'm not sure it was any more special than much of the Oregon coastline. Now, I realize that doesn't help the Canadians much, and that's why this place ranked so high on the NB tourism scale, I guess. But we were a bit disappointed, esp. with the relatively high fee charged to access the area! And the place was so crowded, I couldn't get to a vantage point at all in this one viewing area. It wasn't till I got onto the stairs going down to the beach that I could see at all what the fuss was all about! So here you can see that again, the tide is out.


Nicer lighting from a different spot (and no crowding - hurrah!).

The Sawmill Creek Bridge, built in 1905.

We saw this in several front yards. Apparently this is what you need to be doing all summer - collecting/stacking firewood - to survive one of their winters!


On another day, I went for a drive on my own (so I could stop for photos!!). Here is an example of some of the cute homes scattered about.




A neato church and cemetary. And yes, I could've removed those wires, but it would've taken me forever with my old, retarded version of Photoshop. And you wouldn't have had the true, authentic feel/experience of the NB countryside that way, would you?!



It was sort of a cloudy, flat, blah lighting afternoon, but I thought this was a pretty scene anyways.






How's that for some cloud cover?


A field of flowers.



Hazy light as the tide rises and fills in the back bay of Alma.

So see all those boats, sitting high on the water? Remember this...you'll need this image to compare a little!







No comments:

Post a Comment