Friday, April 1, 2011

Quaggy Jo


I found another trail on-line in an area I wanted to see. So up I drove, on Route 1, to the Aroostook State Park in Presque Isle. This was Maine's very first state park! And maybe that explains why they hadn't figured out about doing switchbacks on trails yet...(actually, it's probably because it's really primarily a snowmobile trail). This trail (the Quaggy Jo, or QuaQuaJo (Indian name), went straight up! I was looking for tree roots for foot holds!

Dang steep trail. And I went up (and down) the "easy way!"


A good view at the top, although there were so many trees up there it was hard to find much of an opening to peep out of! You can see how agricultural this part of Maine is (mostly potatoes). Kind of surprised me - I thought it'd be much more heavily forested. But you can also see how it must've been so at some point, but centuries of worker bee humans have been making a living there!




No comments:

Post a Comment