Sunday, April 25, 2010

Out and about - Part I

On March 10th, the dogs and I got together with one of our new friends, Sandy (Kent's wife - he's the one who bought our R-22 and flew it to Florida! They ended up moving back to Texas, and that's where we found them on this trip!). Sandy and I met for lunch at a super Mexican restaurant in Burnet. A few of these photos were taken on this day, but most of them are from the 11th, on the way to meeting Sandy for lunch again! This time we met in Fredericksburg.
Enroute I just had to stop at the town on the map called "Oatmeal!" However, I'm not sure I ever found the town itself! Only a few houses and a recreation building that indicated its sole purpose was to celebrate the Oatmeal Festival! :)

And who wouldn't pull over for this cool mural?!! For more on the "Woodmen of the World," see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodmen_of_the_World.

Whoever painted this, did a great job, don't you think?

And cool flowers and cool bug.


And here it is! What hill country's probably the most famous for - and if I tell you it's also the state flower of Texas, you'll know what it is, right?!! The bluebonnet, aka lupine! I only saw the merest scattering of these flowers, and only in one spot really. I was about 3 weeks too early for the big bloom (boo-hoo!!!!) - but more on that later...

And close to that bluebonnet was this sign, announcing my arrival at Llano (I took the long way to Fredericksburg, so I could stop at the Enchanted Rock SP - that's coming up next!). Neato sign, eh?


And I HAD to photograph these wonderful bottle trees! Although the photo doesn't do it justice - this was a drive-by shooting (you can do that sort of thing on the quieter roads! and no, I didn't see the "no photos sign" then!). I went back and parked to try and get better images and to do them justice, but a dog there barked and a woman ran out and told me "No photos!" I truly don't understand why people get so uppity about stuff like that! Her stuff is neat, but it's not like no one else has ever come up with this before or will do so in the future! And if she didn't want people to see it, she should've put it all in her house!!! Who knows, maybe she makes millions out of them and that's why she's so proud and protective!!! If she had nicely asked me not to take photos, I might have obliged and not posted this, but whenever someone acts sort of jerky about stuff, well, all bets are off!!

Great clouds! However they were forming back in the direction from where I'd just come! Which made me nervous about our RV and kitties!!! But no stormy weather had been forecast for our area, so I crossed my fingers and went on...

You know me and reflections...! I've got to stop for any and all of them, even if it's just a few leafless trees in a little puddle! Part of the photographic obsession.

Like Bill said when he saw this photo, "Wonder where that photo was taken?!" Hmmm, wonder what part gives it away??
The Llano courthouse. Awesome, isn't it (as are most TX courthouses!)?

Another view.
And then on to Fredericksburg!
And here she is - Sandy! Another kindred spirit I was so happy to meet and spend time with. We had a wonderful time eating and talking! Two of the most important girl things!!
And here's a sample of the eating part - yes, isn't it girlie?! Sandy knew all the best places to go - this was the Peach Tree Tea Room.
So this one's for the girls! Here's a "Howdy!" to all my tea party pardners out there!!
I loved their ceiling decor!

And the grounds outside were pretty too.




No comments:

Post a Comment